The United States and Canada have agreed to close their 5,500-mile border to “all nonessential travel” as the deadly coronavirus outbreak continues to spread.
- Italy’s coronavirus death toll increased by 475 Wednesday, the largest daily increase recorded yet in any country.
- U.S. markets nose-dived Wednesday, with the Dow plunging more than 1,300 points at the open.
- The White House coronavirus plan aims to send $2,000 to many Americans, includes $300 billion for small businesses.
- Confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus have topped 200,000 worldwide, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University.
- China — the original epicenter of the crisis — is reporting very few new cases. In Germany, a top health official warned that as many as 10 million people could be infected in coming months, while Iran announced the largest single day rise in fatalities since the outbreak began.